Followers

Sunday 26 September 2010

SMILE IS IMPORTANT


"A smile is a facelift that's in everyone's price range!" - Tom Wilson, American cartoonist The American musician, Patti LuPone suggests, "Smile at a stranger. See what happens." What generally happens is that the person you are smiling at breaks into a big smile too. And, I do hope, they continue to smile at others they encounter during the day. It surprises me how many people I see walking around with sour and grumpy looks on their faces. I wonder if they are experiencing problems and overwhelming challenges.

I chose it as the theme for this article, because of what happened recently in one of my fitness classes. I always encourage the students to smile and I even add bits of humor throughout the class. Not everyone beams broadly, but most at least grin. A new couple showed up and the man wore a pleasant grin throughout. The woman, however, scowled the whole time. I kept telling myself that it was probably because she was new and concentrating on the newness. I felt badly for her, and do hope to see a glimmer of a grin in the future. People tend to mirror what they see in us. So, I challenge you to consider, if you notice someone looking down and out, try perking them up with a big and welcoming smile. Also, at a networking event, you will find that if you walk up to others wearing your best and warmest smile, they will want to talk with you - and will tend to remember you.

How about you? Are you a smiler? I am, and I must admit that I smiled and smiled as I read the current quotations. Here are some that should make you smile with me:

"If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it." - Andy Rooney, American journalist

"A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside." - Denis Waitley, American writer

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles." - George Eliot, British author

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia, American author

"When you walk into a room, a healthy, beautiful smile is incredibly important." - Susan Anton, American actress

"Your smile will give you a positive countenance that will make people feel comfortable around you." - Les Brown, American businessman


Keep smiling, and let me know how it works for you. I don't know anyone who doesn't look and act better when smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments